Monday, July 11, 2005

The MOVING GODS HATE ME!

Ok. This past Friday was my birthday. The BIG 40. Everyone kept asking me if I FEEL any different, or older. Nope. The only thing that makes me feel old is when I go to the beach and the kids refer to me as "yes ma'am", "may I help you ma'am". That is what makes me feel old.
I don't look remotely close to my age either. (Thanks mom - japanese genes).

So, as my earlier posts show, my aunt's house is now in escrow. We had to move all the stuff out of there so the agent can fix it up. Which meant moving. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my birthday weekend. Here are some of the most bizarre series of events that had me crying, then laughing because it became so comical it hurt.

1. Friends who said they were going to help with the move bailed.
2. Had to rent a UHAUL truck to move some items myself on Friday.
3. Toilet overflowed.
4. DVD Player broke (both of them)
5. Connection for the DVD player on back of TV shorted out.
6. Flat iron doesn't work (it's less than 2 weeks old, need to have it exchanged).
7. Had work call me 8 am on my birthday and found out that one of the middle managers called me incompetent because I didn't do HIS job while he was gone, and couldn't finish it before my day off, despite the fact that it had to be completely recreated, that my computer memory needed to be replaced and I have a 4 hour time limit from my doctor to work on the computer.
8. Toilet overflowed, again.
10. Confirmed Friday that the moving cost to hire 2 moving guys would be $20/hr each guy, was changed on me when I called to see where they were. 2 1/2 hours LATER they show up, but not without raising the price to $60/hour. The owner says, "you are more than welcome to search with other companies, they don't charge less than this"...he damn well knew that I couldn't find someone right away. I plan on writing a letter to the better business bureau. Don't use the STARVING STUDENTS MOVING in Orange County. Overall the two day total to move was $508. That is insane. If it weren't for the two refrigerators, I could have moved everything myself. Much slower, but it could have been done.
11. Then the UHAUL Truck BROKE DOWN. Yes, it broke down.
12. I end up having a full on seizure and am out cold from 4:30 - 9:30 p.m. (I have epilepsy).
13. Unbeknowenst to me, one of my closest friends arranged a surprise birthday party for me that I had to cancel because of not feeling well. That would have been my first one.
14. Managed to get something to eat, and re-arrange a little Sunday morning. Bathroom overlowed again...this time, I couldn't get it to stop until the whole floor and hallway was flooded.
15. VCR didn't work. Had to change out the entire wiring from cable to vcr to dvd player.
16. God-daughter had put a half empty Carmel Mocha (blended) on the counter, I didn't see it and went to put a sweater on my dress form so I could take a picture of it and the sweater caught the straw and carmel mocha flew on me, and everything else in my living room for a good 3 feet in all directions. It stinks!

I can never say that I can't remember my 40th birthday. It was eventful, but somehow I don't think I will let the moving GOD's plan my birthday weekends ever again!!! They are sucky event planners.

My god-daughters saw all the weird events unfolding and couldn't believe it, and tried so hard to make my day enjoyable. They kept hugging me and telling me I was great and that they loved me. Gotta love them for it.

The one really good thing about all this, is the KNITTING CHAIR. One of the items I bought off of my friend's brother, Mike. It ROCKS! It's an oversized single seater with overstuffed sides and an ottoman. It's got enough space to the sides to allow the needles to work, but cushy enough for me to rest my head if I need to.

Ok, enough complaining. I have some serious knitting to do tonight. It's the only thing, other than sleeping, that gets me relaxed. I did however see a really great top while I was at the beach. It's a very delicate lace halter top that will be easy to duplicate. The girl gave me a dirty look while I was staring at it, I had to clarify that I wasn't staring at her (rather flat) chest, but that I knit and I liked the halter and was trying to figure out how to duplicate it. She was flattered and like so many others thinks that my interest in knitting means they can get something made for them at no cost. What is up with that?

Well, I'm off to try and relax, or wait for my mother's phone call. I am sure she will have a billion reasons for me to go to her house and help her do something. She always does. I see more of her than I do of myself.

I promise, I'll be more positive. I don't think Mercury went retrograde. It shouldn't until the last week of July. But damned if it doesn't feel like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home