Monday, June 27, 2005

HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY!
I finally got to meet my nephew. Being that he is entering puberty, I was fearful that he may have become one of those horrid little children that many of today's parents can't control. Loe and behold, he is an incredible, smart, funny and sensitive child who I adore. It's weird. I expected to see so much of my brother in him, and to my utter shock, found that he has more of me in him. The way he laughs, the way he squints when he tries to concentrate on something, the way he covers his mouth when he laughs hysterically, and how he bounces his head when he's inpatient. Not to mention, he has all of my hobbies and habits (minus the knitting). Way cool. We are going to "GO A YARNING"....somewhat like the vikings, on how they "went a vi-king". He's going to go pick out his yarn for his keep sake blanket.

I have two god-daughters, Bryanna (12) and Kirsten (10) whom have been almost like my own children since they were born. Although Jake (11 in August) is my nephew, I have no experience around him, and loads with the girls. I was so fearful that they wouldn't get along. But, alas, my fears were truly unfounded. Bree and Jake got along like brother and sister, and are convinced they are related a.k.a. god-cousins. I don't think this term exits, but somehow they have managed to create it.



I had a phenomenal time with my nephew and got along superbly with his mother, mother's boyfriend, sister and sister's niece. Awesome people!! Sometimes we all wish for an expansion in the family and end up getting nightmare in-laws, but I got lucky. (Well, I have nightmare in-laws, but won't go down that path, I didn't bring bug repelant).

I tried to start knitting a few different projects and have found myself ripping the stitches around 2 1/2 inches into whatever I start. It's frustrating. I don't know if others are like me, but if it doesn't SING out to me while I'm working on it, I will rip it. I'm almost done with my ETZEL blanket. It is a natural colored superfine alpaca by Joseph Galler. It's a good dea, about 665 yars for $25. I love the way it feels. I call it the ETZEL blanket, because it is for my friend Rob, who go married to an awesome woman (Melanie). It's taken me forever to knit this. It's a lace weight, and it is HUGE. I didn't mean it to be huge, it just got that way.



The little teddy bears were knit as well, my first foreray into knitted toys. I don't have the kinks out just yet.

Well, I'm off. I must find my ruby slippers. I am hoping that the yarn store is somewhere over the rainbow. If it is isn't, I have a bad feeling I'm going to end up at my mother's. That means NO knitting for the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home