Wednesday, July 06, 2005

OSCAR ROCKS!

That is the name of my new knitting project. I made a felted backpack for my friend for her birthday this past March. I made one fatal error. I did not put the backpack in a lingerie bag to keep the straps from getting caught in the washer's spinny thingy. It yanked it really hard to one side and it is lopsided. That was a painful waste of time, yarn and money. However, it was a good lesson learned.

So, that leaves me one present short of a gift basket. Hence, the Oscar Rocks Project. My friend is an avid Oscar the Grouch memorabilia collector. So I thought a back pack with this as the theme would make her happy. It will have a body of aubergine (plum color) and the trash can will be a french blue and marbled grey. Oscar will be neon green, and his brows will be a varigated rust with orange fizz through it. You will notice that Oscar has his fingers in the typical head-bangers posture. Someone else said I should knit into it underneath him, "read between the lines"...

But, I think, I won't knit in anything. It's cute the way it is, and besides, there will be stars all on the back. It will be 130 stiches across. It's large to start with, but once it is felted, it should be considerably smaller. I still want a fairly large backpack for my friends Beach Stuff. She always carries a ton of crap in her bags.

I just hope it felts well. It should. My Hello Kitty backpack came out really well. I will just have to keep pulling it out of the washer and forming it. I will have fun with this one. I am working on the bottom right now, and should start the body of it later tonight at my All Things String knitting group meeting in Orange, California. For those who are local to this area, we meet on Wednesdays at either the Dietrich's or Starbucks (we trade off) at the Orange Circle, in the city of Orange. The group ranges from 8-20+ people. It's a fun group. You should check out the yahoo group ALL THINGS STRING.

I've decided NOT to bicycle today. My muscles have learned new languages and have been cursing non-stop at me. Besides, I have lots of furniture moving to supervise on Friday and Saturday.

Here's hoping everyone had a spectacular 4th Holiday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home